Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Confession

It's time I came clean: I dropped out of my Italian class. Learning a new language with a dozen other people once a week for 90 minutes left this former language teacher deeply unsatisfied. It's just not enough, and I didn't want to be the yappy, attention-seeking Chihuahua-person I would become if I wanted to get all my questions answered. So I called Parliamo Italiano and cancelled for a 75% refund and decided to finally give the Rosetta Stone course of study a try. I signed up for six months of the online version, which includes all three levels and costs substantially less than ordering the CDs. I'm pretty darn hooked. It teaches using only the target language, and includes a pair of headphones with built-in microphone, so that you can speak the language and be evaluated by the little Italian dude inside. I want to be constantly progressing, and this allows me to study as much or as little as I want. I've never learned a language without a lot of English interspersed, which leaves me guessing at some of the rules, but I'm confident they will eventually come naturally. I'm also interested in checking out the Hebrew course, but am trying to stick to just one at a time.

No comments: