Thursday, October 18, 2007

Eleven Days' Notice: Parting Is Such Sweet [Farm] Sorrow

Scene: Wednesday October 17, shortly after 2pm, a goodies bakery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Me: I have some news. I'm going to school to learn to bake bread.
Manager Patty: Wow, great!
M: So I'll be here this week and next week, but not after that. I might be able to come occasionally on Sundays, but not every week.
MP: Okay. (Pause.) You'll have to teach someone how to make the cinnamon buns before you leave.
M: Okay.
MP leaves the kitchen and comes back a few minutes later with a schedule for the upcoming week.
MP: So you're here next week and the week after that?
M: No, October 28 is my last day.
MP: Okay.

And this, my friends, is the benefit of jobs that don't offer any. Truth be told, school starts on November 12, but orientation is on the 7th and I wanted to have a few days to frolic before classes start.

No comments: